Knowledge is power and power is coveted. If you have a dream to study in the UK I also have my opinions about the kind of person that you are. But regardless of what they are, I have decided to proffer you this guide, to support your dream because that is what we do on this platform.
However, if you, my fellow countryman, are not about schooling but for other businesses in the UK, you should see this post.
Well, if you are still here, then we should quickly get to all the sides that there are to UK study visa application without further ado.
What is UK Tier 4 General Student Visa?
The United Kingdom (UK) Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is a package specially designed for individuals who are sixteen or above and want to study in the UK. They can study in the UK for more than six months.
UK Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is a type of UK study visa. Short-term study visa and Child study visa are the other types.
UK study visa is meant for people whose intention is to study in the UK on a long-term basis. Other types of UK visas are mentioned in UK Visa Application | Standard Visitor Visa.
Who Can Apply for UK Tier 4 General Student Visa in Nigeria?
Are you eligible for UK Tier 4 student visa? Check the list below to find out.
- You are eligible if you have been unconditionally offered a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.
- You are eligible if you have received a reference number call Confirmation for Acceptance of Study (CAS) from your education provider in the UK.
- You are eligible if you have enough money or sponsor to support you and pay for your course.
- You are eligible if you have a valid international passport.
- You are eligible if you are sixteen years old or over.
- You are eligible if you understand, speak, read and write English.
How to Apply for UK Tier 4 General Student Visa in Nigeria
Click here to register for an account. You will be sent an email to unlock your account.
Open the link sent to you to log in and fill an online application form.
Pay a visa fee with your credit card and book an appointment for the submission of your documents by clicking on the ‘continue’ button just before the end of the page.
Take your documents to the office of TLSCONTACT (the address of the TLSCONTACT office to visit will be shown on your appointment confirmation) and submit the printed copy of your visa application form and other supporting documents at TLSCONTACT.
Checklist of Supporting Documents:
- Academic Technology Approval System (ATAS) certificate (if your course requires ATAS clearance)
- Current and valid passport
- Previous passport if used to travel to the UK
- Biometric Identity Card/Biometric Residence Permit for the UK (if you have any)
- Two (45mmx35mm wide) recently taken passport photographs.
- Previous academic qualifications (as listed on your CAS, this only applies for new students who are applying before starting their course or within the first 6 months of their course).
- English test certificate (only if these are listed on your CAS, this only applies for new students who applying before starting their course or within the first 6 months of their course).
- If any documents are not in English: an official translation
- bank statements (if self-funding or if sponsored but sponsorship doesn’t cover all course fees and maintenance)
- Birth certificate (of applicant – only if using parent’s bank statements)
- Letter of main applicant’s parent, giving permission to use their funds (only if using parent’s bank statements).
- If sponsored, the letter from your official financial sponsor.
- Completed data confidentiality form.
Click here for full document checklist.
- All letters should be address to the Visa officer at the UK EMBASSSY. For UK embassy address, click here.
- You must apply for your Tier 4 (General) Student Visa no more than six months after you’ve received a CAS from an education provider in the UK.
- You should apply for Tier 4 (General) student visa three months before intended date of travel.
- You can click here for available scholarships in the UK.
I hope that you’ve learnt from this post. This is one in a series of posts about UK study visa application. You can click Short-term study visa or Child study visa for more information on UK study visa application in Nigeria.